Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pink Lemonade, anyone?


I really love that darned little patron saint of crocheted food, Twinkie Chan.  Her work is adorable and fresh and I've lusted after her ebay and etsy forever, but being chronically broke I haven't ever been able to buy more than a refridgerator magnet.  

Until this summer.

I was at Sock Summit working in the Anzula booth and across the aisle I spied Twinkie Chan's book.  I think I squealed. (Can I get a confirmation on that?) All of her genius, but with the fun twist of being able to do it myself?  I almost died.

But I didn't die.  I just bought the book with great haste* and immediately set into making the first project that made me salivate: the Pink Grapefruit Scarf


I was graciously offered some odds and ends of the super delightful Anzula Squishy to make this dream come true, so I set in that night using Squishy in the colorways Ducky and Raspberry, with Anzula's Haiku in Au Natural for the sections. 
Scarf is worked in sections so it's really easy to take on the go without lugging the whole project. Downside?  Sewing and weaving in tons and tons and tons of ends.

Because the pattern calls for some seriously chunky ass yarn and Squishy is fingering weight, the citrus slices turned out much smaller than they should have (gauge, what?)  making them more lemony.  And well, I like lemonade even more than grapefruit, so I christened this my pink lemonade scarf.

The pattern was so easy to work off of and Squishy never ever disappoints to the touch so this project was incredibly fun.  Now that the chilly weather is settling in I don't take my scarf off.  No, seriously.  I was at the OBGYN this morning and he asked if I wanted to put it in the pile with my pants.  I declined.  Sometimes a girl just needs a brightly colored superwash merino/cashmere/nylon blend shaped like fruit on her neck, okay?!

Crocheters of the universe- do everyone you know a favor and buy the damn book.  Even if you're not into wearing food, you've gotta have a cousin or a friend who just is dying to have a cupcake hat. 



*"OMIGOD I NEED THIS CAN YOU BREAK A HUNDRED BECAUSE A BALLER LIKE ME ONLY CARRIES THE BENJAMINZ?  THANX!"

No comments:

Post a Comment