Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Blah Blah Blah 2011 Blah Blah Blah 2012

2011 was a major year for me when it comes to crafting.  Because my life was frogged in January when my husband and I filed for divorce I've been working hard all year long at creating a new one.

A major part of that was the opportunity to spend part of the year with Anzula, and getting to experience a yarn pilgrimage to Ohio for the TNNA Marketplace, stopping at LYS's along the way. I also go to travel to Portland for Sock Summit.  This shifted my whole yarn perspective and, well, lets just say I won't be buying Vanna's Choice anymore.  I also finally learned to knit thanks to Sabrina, owner of Anzula, teaching me while it was my turn to rest from driving duties on the road.  That's right.  She taught me while SHE was driving.  Mad skills!

Another piece was having to recreate my living space into one that reflected my style without leaning too heavily on the themes that my ex and I had already established.  I was back in my house for 7 months before I really started making it my own and infusing my own style into the things I hated about it before.

I figured I'd share a list of my favorite things I discovered this year and then give a quick run down of things I'm stoked to the point of falling apart over for next year!

1. Fancy Tiger Crafts in Devner CO.
When the ladies of Fancy Tiger walked into the Anzula booth at TNNA I suspected it would be love.  They looked so... cool.  Then when we stopped by their store on our way home (we planned our trek through Denver just to accommodate visiting their shop!) I knew it was love.  It's cute, but edgy.  You're surrounded by bright colors, delicious textures and it's just so... cool.  And if you look at their Facebook, their pictures look straight out of the liner notes or tour diary of a riot grrrl band.  But they're still knitters and crafters and loveable as heck.  I follow their blog because it always keeps my creativity on it's toes.  I'm still trying to think up excuses to go to Denver just so I can visit again.


2. Spray Painting Ugly Shit.
 There have been several things in my house (most notably, my Christmas tree) that have been attacked by spray paint this year.   My theory is that my home should be as fabulous and fun as I am. I am taking this very seriously.


3. Twinkie Chan
Okay, I've been long-obsessed with her, but her book Crochet Goodies for Fashion Foodies didn't get into my hot little hands until this Summer.  And it made my Summer, and then the stuff I made this Summer made my winter warmer.

I plan on making every one of these items.












A girl can only handle pretty yarn every day so much before she has to do something about it.  I made a pumpkin hat using Cricket-a sport weight yarn... get it!  Cricket is (sort of) a sport! The pun alone is worth is, but HOLY CRAP, that touch of cashmere in there with the superwash merino and nylon makes this irresistible.  Sproingy, soft and gorgeously colored. 













I'm not gonna lie, one of the highlights of both the TNNA trip and Sock Summit was getting to know Knitcircus editor Jaala Spiro.  She's fun, quirky and her magazine, blog and podcast totally rock.  Something I didn't know before this summer was just how tight knit (heh) the knitting community was.  I kind of fell in love with that side of the industry, and that community feel is totally apparent in Knitcircus.  Plus, the blog has tons of giveaways and there are always great non-knitting things too like... oh you know... cookie recipes (!) and it's just fun.  Like knitting should be!









In 2012 I'm looking forward to...

My first Knit Along making the Beekeeper's Quilt at The Knit Addiction.

Making something in Anzula's Coco colorway.  It's the most gorgeous brown I've ever seen in my life.  I don't usually care for brown, but Coco makes a good case for neutrals!



Finally finishing my Kusha Kusha scarf, my first project!  I have about 110 rows to go!

Here's to all of the discoveries I'll make next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment